So, you’ve promised yourself you’re not eating sweets for two months. Or maybe you’re committing to that gluten-free life. Or you just want to try out cooking (and baking) with healthier, more nutrient-dense foods. Get your cookie, gluten-free, and healthy-cooking fix by stocking up on these six gluten-free baking flours instead of all-purpose. There are so many better-for-you flours out there (we’re talking flours made from nuts, whole grains, coconuts, etc.) that you can easily find in your grocery store and have fun experimenting with.
Because we bet you’re wondering: There (unfortunately) are not exact measurements for swapping these flours for all-purpose flour in recipes. Some may be 1:1, but we can’t make that general promise only for you to totally eff up the outcome. What we can promise you is an eye-opening look into a world of flours that you’ve maybe never used. Once you got these guys in the pantry, search Pinterest for specific recipes and you’ll be golden.
Almond flour is considered the king of gluten-free flours. Besides giving your product a nutty, balanced flavor, the finely ground nut offers added moisture and tenderness to the recipes that use it. As with any nut, almond flour has a higher fat content than other flours plus adds in extra fiber and protein to your diet. It’s a good choice for use in baked goods with a light crumb texture: pancakes, muffins, cakes, etc.
If you’re adventurous and want to try it in bread, tread lightly and only use 25 percent of almond flour in the whole percentage of your flour blend (a.k.a. the other 75 percent will be all-purpose). You can also use almond flour as a replacement for bread crumbs or to thicken sauces and soups.
It’s a common belief that almond flour can be used as a 1:1 ratio with other gluten-containing flours. But, as a passionate baker myself, I’m telling you: Don’t do that. Although almond flour can definitely be the sole flour in your product for some baked goods, do not use it as an exact replacement in your favorite recipe. Almond flour usually leaves a product a bit denser and sometimes calls for the necessary addition of an extra egg.
TO CONTINUE READING THIS ARTICLE, CLICK NEXT PAGE.